Anna and some related news
Anna's victory is all over in the media and rightly so. In the backdrop of this important news, few other items tell us how much more work is yet to be done. Anna and all others have rightly said - this is just a beginning...
- RTI activist was attacked yesterday in Pune - This is one more incidence when RTI activist is attacked for invoking RTI against unlawful activities.
- Madhav Godbole is slamming Anna's victory - while the "common people" is feeling it is a victory over the politicians, Mr. Madhav Godbole ex-bureaucrat is not feeling the same way. While his criticism on UPA is valid, I feel he hasn't understood the reasoning why Anna had to start "fast unto death".
- NCP is not happy with comparing Anna with Gandhiji - This one is a funny one. Just because Anna is going to be part of the committee working on Lokpal Bill, NCP has a problem comparing him with Anna. I'd say, by accepting a position in the committee, Anna has also accepted the responsibility for his actions/contributions. This was a missing angle with Gandhiji's "fast unto death" program.
- Nepotism - Some people have started questioning the inclusion of "baap-beta" both on the committee. I won't comment on it, as I am completely unaware of their credentials. But what is important here is this could be a "divide and rule" propaganda by the politicians. The possible victims of the Lokpal bill would definitely want to bring down the credibility of the 5 representatives from the People of India and this questioning could help them..
- Adarsh Scam - important filings have gone missing once again - By this rate, probably, by the time Lokpal bill is brought into effect, there will be no evidence left whatsoever about the scam itself!!
- Concern over Electronic Voting Machines - I was under the impression that EVMs is the "way to go", but it seems there is some concern over it as well!!